I’m so excited about today recipe. It’s a light and fresh experiment in the kitchen gone wonderfully right so DISCLAIMER: make sure you make enough of it for seconds!
As you know by now, even though I may never part with my occasional indulgences (see: Stuffed Biscuits and Gravy) I’ve been testing out different flavors and ingredients to create some healthier recipes.
It may be a bit of an oxymoron, but the combination of light and filling is my favorite to consistently eat. You know, full of protein and lots of tasty nutrient dense veggies but won’t leave you feeling overly full and sleepy. There’s not much to say there, but on a day-to-day basis it just feels better, am I right?
As far as recipe creation, I haven’t ventured too much into Asian flavors, but I definitely wanted to try something that was familiar and satisfying while incorporating some veggies I don’t normally pick up.
Enter Spicy Chicken Wonton Salad AKA #Lunch Goals.
This dish is crunchy, fresh. Also you can look at smart kitchen picks which can be great for air fryer recipes.
There are two tricks to the perfect Spicy Chicken Wonton Salad that take it from good to exceptional. The first is you HAVE to let that salad marinate. It’s ok if you just do a quick toss in the vinaigrette but if you’re going for something better than just ok make sure it spends a little time in the fridge. I never really liked Brussel sprouts until I tried a marinated salad and it really softens those bitter greens flavors while soaking up the vinaigrette.
The second trick to taking this salad up a notch is grilling the chicken. If you have a grill, then hooray! Unfortunately, I do not. But you know what I do have? A really well-seasoned cast iron grill pan. Everything tastes better to me in this pan and just really takes the flavor to another level. I like to put the chicken on the hot grill pan to get those lovely grill lines and turn the heat way down and let it finish up with a lid which keeps it nice and juicy.
This spicy chicken wonton salad is super easy to make in batches and perfect for lunch or light dinners on the go.
Spicy Chicken Wonton Salad
- 3 chicken breasts, cut in half
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup brussel sprouts, sliced
- 1 cup kale
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup napa cabbage, sliced
- ½ cup kohlrabi, cut into matchstick size pieces
- ½ cup sesame ginger vinaigrette
- 5 wonton squares cut into strips
- oil for frying
- Marinate chicken with olive oil, red pepper, oregano and garlic for at least 30 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and grill or cook over medium heat until cooked through
- Set aside and slice once cooled
- Mix all salad ingredients in bowl and add sesame ginger vinaigrette
- Allow to sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes (this allows it to soak up flavor and soften)
- Fry wonton strips in oil until golden
- Top salad with chicken and crispy wonton strips