The Fourth of July has always been an exciting time for me. As a kid, it meant BBQ grilling and watching fireworks with my family. As I got a bit older, I still did those things but had the added excitement of running away from fireworks my friends would set off.
Life’s changed a lot since then, and now I have something new to celebrate each Fourth of July Joeys birthday! This year I wanted to make him a healthy, but festive treat and what better way to do that than a layered banana nice cream berry Popsicle!?
This little guy is growing quickly. It seems like just yesterday I was looking forward to sharing one of my favorite fruits, bananas, with him and now I literally can’t leave them within his reach because he will eat them all. He loves fruit of all kinds and has a big love for smoothies.
Honestly, every single time I turn on the blender, he runs up to me with his cup thinking I made him a smoothie. Theres no denying he’s my son.
Nice cream or banana ice cream is pretty awesome. As a base, it’s just two ingredients- bananas and almond milk. It tastes delicious on its own, but you can also add healthy treats to it for fun! (or not so healthy treats like chocolate and peanut butter also for fun)
We have plans to see fireworks this year and enjoy our downtown’s annual fourth of July event and it’s going to be HOT.
Before we head downtown, this will be the perfect way to cool off from the day’s excitement a refreshing popsicle that’s actually good for you!
To make the nice cream I just froze peeled bananas for a few hours until they were firm but not solid, added almond milk and blend blend blended it up!
Since I didn’t let the bananas get fully firm I didn’t need as much almond milk, so depending on your freezer and blender you might need a little more. I then separated the mixture into three batches and added the fresh berries.
I also found that it works better if the mixture is a bit melty (this stuff melts quickly!) because it makes it easier to pour into the popsicle molds.
These nice cream berry popsicles are healthy, easy to make and super tasty all with just a few ingredients!
- 8 bananas
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1.5 cups diced fresh strawberries
- 1.5 cups fresh blueberries
- Popsicle molds
- Peel bananas and freeze until firm but not fully solid (about 3 hours)
- Blend with 1 cup almond milk, adding more if needed to form ice cream- like consistency
- Separate ice cream into three batches
- Blend batch 1 with strawberries, set aside
- Blend batch 2 with blueberries, set aside
- Set aside plain banana batch
- Fill popsicle mold way with one of the flavors and freeze for 20 minutes
- Repeat with rest of flavors, replace the lid or popsicle stick and freeze for at least 4 hours