Whether it’s on a bed of lettuce, crispy toast or straight out of a bowl, I’ve always loved chicken salad. It’s creamy and just oh so delicious. Classic chicken salad is made with mayo, celery, and ingredients like a lemon for acidity. I kept some of the classic components but swapped out the lemon for lime and added avocado for a fresh new taste.
Yesterday we were at Lucky’s Market, a favorite store of ours in town because of their low prices and fresh ingredients. We decided to pick up some bacon from the meat counter because we heard it’s amazing. When we got home I opened the package and wow! I’m not sure I can go back to regular store packaged bacon- even before it was cooked it smelled so good. We also picked up a few avocados with no real plans for them and I knew I needed to come up with something incorporating both ingredients. The deliciously fresh bacon gave me the idea to make this avocado chicken salad with peppery bacon and a crispy low carb tortilla.
One of the great things about avocado chicken salad is that you can make a batch of it and keep it in the fridge all week. It’s a great go to for meals or even a quick snack with some veggie sticks. I wanted to keep the celery in the recipe for the fresh crunch it offers and if you don’t like celery, cucumbers would be a good swap. Don’t skip the fresh cilantro because it really brightens up the avocado chicken salad and gives a good contrast to the crunch of the low carb tortilla.
Whether you’re in need of a nutritious snack or a filling meal, this avocado chicken salad is creamy, fresh and super quick. As an added bonus, you can sneak more veggies into the meal without the kids knowing- hooray!
- 2 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 2-3 slices cooked bacon
- cup mayo
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp finely diced red onion
- 1 celery stalk, diced (sub: cucumber)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cilantro, garnish
- Low carb tortillas, baked or pan fried ( I use mama Lupe’s low carb)
- In food processor, blend mayo, half avocado, pepper, lime juice and chili powder until smooth
- dice remaining ½ of avocado and cooked bacon
- In large bowl, mix avocado mayo with cubed chicken, celery, diced avocado, bacon and red onion
- Place scoop of chilled chicken salad on fried/baked tortilla and serve with cilantro garnish
- Rinse all the stuffs in a kitchen sinks after use